Australian Embassy
Lao People's Democratic Republic
Km 4, Thadeua Road, Watnak (P.O. Box 292)

Services for Australians

Services for Australians Overseas

What we can and cannot do

Assisting Australians overseas within limits

Travel information for Australians

Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Check local information on topics such as entry to Laos, banking, marriage in Laos, and medical facilities.


How to lodge your passport application

From 01 July 2015, all Australian citizens must lodge their passport application in person. We are not able to accept applications by mail or courier. This helps us to protect you, by protecting the security and integrity of your Australian passport. Please contact us on 021-353800 for further advice or to make an appointment to lodge your application.

Please note that child applications should be lodged in person by a parent or person with parental responsibility for the child. The parent or person lodging the application is not required to be an Australian citizen, but will need to bring photographic proof of their own identity to the appointment. Renewal passport application form can be downloaded at

Once all requirements are met an ordinary passport will take about 3 weeks to process
Payments - Credit card facilities are not available at the embassy. We accept cash payments in LAK or USD only.

On-line registration for Australians overseas

We encourage use of this online registration service by Australians planning to reside overseas for extended periods, and those travelling to locations where there are security risks.

Visas to Laos

Australians may obtain a tourist visa to Laos on arrival at all international airports and friendship bridges, and most land border crossings. For further information on visas to Laos please contact your nearest Lao Embassy.  The Lao government maintains an embassy in Canberra, Australia. Lao Immigration require passports to have at least 6 month\'s validity and at least one blank page to affix the visa label/stamp.

Living in Country

Former residents

A gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services

Returning to Australia

Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.

Taking cats and dogs to Australia